[wdmmg-discuss] More council (local authority) spending data

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Jul 3 10:04:19 UTC 2010

As people may have seen, there was quite a bit of discussion yesterday
around council spending data sparked by a post of Chris Taggart's [1]
[2].

One thing this post highlighted was that councils were starting to
make spending data available. We've been looking for LA spending data
for a while and have been recording what we have found in this
spreadsheet (not much so far):

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah8UkI7xG7eWdEpTREZpeU5TRHN4b1kyUUVZbmFNVkE

Just yesterday I came across an excellent list maintained by Adrian
Short (The government open data campaign -
http://www.mashthestate.org.uk/) which shows councils publishing
spending data and licence status and machine readability:

<http://armchairauditor.co.uk/scoreboard>

Thoughts:

a) This list could be usefully merged into our existing spreadsheet
b) We've now got some more LA spending data we can load into the data
store <http://data.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/> -- we've already loaded
the GLA data of course ...

Rufus

[1]: <http://countculture.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/the-open-spending-data-that-isn/>,
cross-posted here:
<http://blog.okfn.org/2010/07/02/the-open-spending-data-that-isnt/>
[2]: <http://data.gov.uk/blog/work-local-spending-data> (disclosure:
I'm on the public sector transparency board)