[wdmmg-discuss] More council (local authority) spending data

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 12:23:02 UTC 2010

It's possibly also worth mentioning the open data scoreboard at
http://OpenlyLocal.com/councils/open listing all those publishing open data
of all sorts, and seems to be pretty effective in getting councils to their
data (tiny number so far, but trebled in past two weeks).

OpenlyLocal has also imported the spending data for Windsor & Maidenhead,
GLA and Richmond (see the main pages for each council) and will pull in all
the others as soon as it's made available in an open way. The focus is on
tying the spending to suppliers (unlike Adrian's excellent Armchair Auditor,
which is more about categories), so we've tried to match up against company
name/numbers, and users can match those we haven't manage to do
automatically.

Chris

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>wrote:

> As people may have seen, there was quite a bit of discussion yesterday
> around council spending data sparked by a post of Chris Taggart's [1]
> [2].
>
> One thing this post highlighted was that councils were starting to
> make spending data available. We've been looking for LA spending data
> for a while and have been recording what we have found in this
> spreadsheet (not much so far):
>

> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah8UkI7xG7eWdEpTREZpeU5TRHN4b1kyUUVZbmFNVkE
>
> Just yesterday I came across an excellent list maintained by Adrian
> Short (The government open data campaign -
> http://www.mashthestate.org.uk/) which shows councils publishing
> spending data and licence status and machine readability:
>
> <http://armchairauditor.co.uk/scoreboard>
>
> Thoughts:
>
> a) This list could be usefully merged into our existing spreadsheet
> b) We've now got some more LA spending data we can load into the data
> store <http://data.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/> -- we've already loaded
> the GLA data of course ...
>
> Rufus
>
> [1]: <
> http://countculture.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/the-open-spending-data-that-isn/
> >,
> cross-posted here:
> <http://blog.okfn.org/2010/07/02/the-open-spending-data-that-isnt/>
> [2]: <http://data.gov.uk/blog/work-local-spending-data> (disclosure:
> I'm on the public sector transparency board)

OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture