[wdmmg-discuss] More council (local authority) spending data

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Sat Jul 3 13:06:22 UTC 2010

Rufus, I would just like to expand a little more on the wdmmg research
team approach to getting local government financial data.

We've been looking into:

- getting a dump of a few local authorites accounts databases, just to see
   the level of detail they store. We know that there is no standard way of
   storing this data through councils, with each public body choosing their
   own preferred supplier. The best results have come from Cambridge County
   Council and Warwickshire Country Council are being co-operative too.
- looking at the reports that each public body is, by law, obliged to
   complete on their expenses, their assets and accruals. Where have good
   understanding now of the level of detail required, the auditing that
   takes place and how the results are used by central government for the
   L-pack the C-pack and the NO.
- we are looking at screen scaping local government accounts with the
   Scaper Wiki team.

Lisa