[wdmmg-discuss] UK tax and cuts

Tim Hubbard timjph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 23:18:06 UTC 2010

Hi Lisa,

At 22:58 +0100 13/6/10, Lisa Evans wrote:
>I was hoping you'd add more Tim, thank you.
>
>I've come up with three methods for making a list of spending cut choices.
>
>1. We could start from the list of results from Chop or Not
>(http://chopornot.channel4.com/) and use the costings that channel 4 used.

The problem with chopornot is that it isn't clear how much you are
chopping or what the consequence is - at least I couldn't find it.

I think for each area of potential cuts, for a couple of different
cut levels it should be clear:

- how much do you save
- what do you lose in terms of services
- how many jobs are lost
- etc.

For the taxation model I have so far, its possible to change the
taxation rates for income tax, national insurance, vat etc. and see
what the consequence is for:

- income of individuals
- change in the total amount of tax revenue

>2. We could look for items on COINS that represent a likely selection.
>
>3. We categorise types of spending in COINS and allow people to 'drill
>down' into those categories of spending and allow more details of the type
>of spending so people can choose if they would want to cut this spending
>or not. The way COINS is organised by different National Account Codes
>that are listed in Annex B of the COINS guidance, might be a good
>categorisation to start with. Or maybe COFOG is a better starting point.
>
>Other suggestions are most welcome. Let me know what you think.

Given that so much work is being done with COINS, perhaps it would be
good to bulid on that...hoping of course that government will
continue with the COINS model in the future (*)

Best wishes,

Tim

(*) in constructing the tax model, I've been somewhat dismayed at the
way that HMRC, treasury etc. randomly change the way they measure
things every few years - one year they have stats on 14 income bands
the next 12, for no clear reason - its like each time they generate a
set of stats, they start from scratch!

Dr Tim Hubbard                         email: th at sanger.ac.uk
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute        Tel (direct): +44 1223 496886
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           Tel (switch): +44 1223 834244
Hinxton, Cambridgeshire. CB10 1SA.     Fax: +44 1223 496802