[wdmmg-discuss] WDMMG personas and audience engagement

Liz Turner liz at iconomical.com
Wed May 26 10:16:47 UTC 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> On 14 May 2010 14:14, steve cummaford <cummaford at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've uploaded a document defining the WDMMG audience, and some
>> thoughts on
>> how we can engage them in the new design solution. We can build on
>> these
>> initial thoughts as we progress through the design process, and use
>> them to
>> reason about how we can encourage participation and repeat visits
>> to the
>> site. If you have comments, please share them.
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxrbigXPWr7PYTVhZjU3ZWEtNTU5NS00OTUxLThjMTMtMzE4Njk2MjU2MjU5&hl=en_GB

Nice work. This gives a very strong indication of who we are
addressing, and what they want to do. Sharing and commenting are very
key. The personas indicate that the most engaged users are interested
in delving a little deeper into the information, so that they can
investigate, share and comment.

We need to prioritise features which address the needs of these
particular audience segments.

- calculating personal tax statement
- making and posting visualizations
- commenting on visualizations
- linking and cross-referencing
- facilitating discussion

This suggests that we need to focus our efforts on making the
visualization dashboard as simple as possible, and honing the
functionality around deep linking, embedding, and sharing
visualizations, and telling the stories that surround them.

The design concepts we have can't really deliver this yet. If we are
going to serve these users, we will need to rethink our current
approach, focusing on ways we can make the dashboard deliver diverse
visualizations, and populating the website with more interesting deep-
linked content.

> This together with the analysis of what people wanted was great but I
> think there are some changes we should make. Specifically, I think we
> should:
>
>  * Drop the school children and teachers as they are hard to reach
> and probably not our number one priority (teachers v. busy etc)
>  * Drop the new voter (post-election is this as relevant and this is
> a rather nebulous group)
>  * Break down the general population

If you're worried about the relative age of the personas, dropping the
two youngest profiles from the group seems counterproductive :)

I think we should definitely include school teachers, children and
young voters in our user profiles, because they are very
representative of the motivations of the younger audience we can
reach. Addressing them is an excellent way to get at the target 4iP
demographic, while filling the needs of some of the other users we're
keen to reach.

best

Liz Turner
+31627495149