[wdmmg-discuss] feature request for data.wdmmg

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 24 14:05:57 UTC 2010

On 24 November 2010 12:29, Anna Powell-Smith <annapowellsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> was a table with the sorttable.js widget so that I could look at the keys ordered by arbitrary columns (date or dept or type, or amount, or any column you show), rather than the order they came out of the database.
>>
>> Good idea and very easy to do.
>
> Yes, definitely! I've been looking into this.
>
>> One question: how do we deal with the fact we may have ~1000 rows (we
>> currently paginate and not sure how paginate interacts with sortable
>> ...)
>
> Rather than sorttable I think we should use a grid plugin. The two
> most promising seem to be SlickGrid and jqGrid, both of which claim to
> be able to deal with any number of rows, so no need for pagination.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of either?

It is not so much the javascript I'm worrying about but the user
experience (and performance) of loading, say, 20k rows into a page ...

As it seems this is something a bit more than putting in
jquery.tablesorter (the standard almost here) can I suggest we ticket
this -- that way we can outline the specs and record the different
implementation options ...

Rufus