[wdmmg-discuss] Fwd: [sunlightlabs] Offener Haushalt: Opening Up German Governmental Finance Data

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 4 12:30:57 UTC 2010

http://bund.offenerhaushalt.de/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Dietrich <daniel.p.dietrich at gmail.com>
Date: 28 September 2010 21:11
Subject: [sunlightlabs] Offener Haushalt: Opening Up German
Governmental Finance Data
To: Sunlight Labs <sunlightlabs at googlegroups.com>

Hi all,

now that infosthetics bloged about our latest tool I thought sharing
with you would be a good idea.

Comments and feedback very welcome!

Best greetings
Daniel

Offener Haushalt: Opening Up German Governmental Finance Data
http://infosthetics.com/archives/2010/09/offener_haushalt_opening_the_german_government_financial_data.html

"Offener Haushalt [offenerhaushalt.de] (German for 'open budget') is
another demonstration of the large potential behind the emerging Open
Data phenomenon. Based on data that was harvested by the extensive
'screen scraping' of the website of the Bundesfinanzministerium (the
German equivalent to the U.S. Department of the Treasury, but I simply
had to include this word), Offener Haushalt attempts to open up
socially relevant data to allow open and shared analysis,
interpretation and discussion. Unfortunately, like most other European
governments today, the German 'Bundesfinanzministerium' does not make
open, machine-readable datasets available for download yet.

While still in an early 'beta', the online platform allows for the
exploration (as 'specific categories', as 'groups' or as 'functions'),
and commenting of the acquired data in a treemap structure, while each
detail view is stored under individual and shareable URLs. The
original sources are clearly mentioned, while the data can be
downloaded in JSon, RDF or XML formats. In the meantime, the
developers are calling anyone with valuable German data to come
forward."

http://bund.offenerhaushalt.de/

Tactical Tools is a start up and idea foundry for digital strategies,
communications design and software development. We building
data-driven participation and exploration software for political
contexts. We're involved in the development of Adhocracy, an
open-source cooperative policy drafting and network-based voting
platform used by several political groups.

Our open data efforts are centered around offenedaten.de - a
grassroots catalogue of open government data from Germany developed in
cooperation with OKF - and offenerhaushalt.de, the first comprehensive
browseable visualization of the German federal budget. With
wahlversprechen.info we launched a parliament monitoring system that
traks election promises ofer time and so underline the idea of
accountability as key element of open government.

We're also engaged in a variety of community-building efforts towards
an open data movement in Germany. We've organized and held several
government data hack days, contributed to conferences and online
discourse.

http://tactical-tools.net/

--
Daniel Dietrich