[OpenSpending-discuss] What really caused the eurozone crisis?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Dec 23 17:35:59 UTC 2011

On 22 December 2011 16:29, Friedrich Lindenberg
<friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
> The BBC has a nice graph cartoon here:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16290598 (extending their previous,
> nice "web of debt": http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696).
>
> I'm curious: what other good infovis/datavis things have people seen
> on the Eurozone crisis?

Not specifically on Eurozone crisis but back in Summer 2010 when big
budget cuts discussion under way here in the UK we produced this sort
of thing:

http://okfnlabs.org/openspendingjs/app/deficit-and-debt/deficit-and-debt.html

This showed total debt (accumulated deficits) and deficit for 2009.
There was a useful source spreadsheet.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah8UkI7xG7eWdDJfM2gyZDVaSlJ3dHZzR1JJWF9tekE&gid=5

There was also this very interesting graph produced by Tim Hubbard's
work about how deficit evolved in the UK (todo: find link again). One
really interesting lesson of these efforts was that it was far from
trivial to dig up th relevant data.

Rufus