[wdmmg-discuss] User flagging of spending entries

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Feb 22 12:07:48 UTC 2011

What about: '!' and '?'. ;-)

In any case we should think about this very carefully and try to think
about what is useful. We should not try to make flagging take the
place of commenting, or adding a favourite. Perhaps it would be useful
to make a big lists of the kinds of user behaviours that this will aim
to respond to? E.g.

  - Flagging an entry that is somehow relevant to me (e.g. a budget
line relating to a school I went to in my local area)
  - Keeping track of entries I'm interested in as an investigative
journalist - where my flag may relate to my thinking on a topic (to
remind me of something I'd like to look into) rather than the entry
being somehow intrinsically interesting
  - Flagging an entry where there is some missing information
  - Flagging an entry where I'm not sure what an acronym means
  - Flagging an entry where I'm not sure if a number is correct
  - Flagging an entry where I think something needs to be clarified
  - Flagging an entry which I think merits being looked into further
  - Flagging an entry which I am happy about, or which I think is silly, etc

I'd also be wary of trying to 'over-taxonomise' with respect to how we
label the labels/flags. Definitely don't think we should say
'suspicious' and suspect 'interesting' is too vague. Ideally we want
to respond to user behaviour and user demand as much as possible with
this kind of thing (and use functionalities they will be used to from
other web services)...

Hmm.. tough! Emoticons anyone? ;-)

J.