[wdmmg-discuss] Visualization of How Much Max You Pay (in the UK)

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:07:07 UTC 2011

Nice! Particularly good at showing the impact of VAT on low incomes.

Thoughts:

- Also interesting is total tax as a proportion of income (e.g. 40% of
income at £10k, 30% at £500k). Perhaps the large rectangle should be
income, and show tax as a proportion of that.
- Adding checkboxes for smoker/drinker/driver would make it even
better (as you have noted).
- Obviously, 'other indirect taxes' needs explaining, plus text around
how this is worked out - using overall tax take figures rather than
individual incomes. Explain why there is no change at £150k when the
50p top tax rate kicks in.

Anna