[OpenSpending] Interesting budget visualisations from around the globe

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Jun 11 09:48:06 UTC 2012

Hi Lisa,

> My first thought is that the figure for the actual spending in the right
> hand side pannel needs to be bold when the '11-12 Actual' button is
> selected. Similarly the budget figure needs to be bold when the '12-13
> Budget' is selected.
>
> Then I'm not convinced this diagram is suitable for hierarchical data. The
> inner layer shows the top categories of spending or budgets as essentially a
> pie chart. The outer layers add a more detailed breakdown of these top
> categories, but the collective size of this detail is greater than the area
> represented in the inner layer. Personally I find that a bit confusing. What
> do you think?

The age old problem of area versus lengths and yes, I agree that the
slivers would make more sense if there was a drill down and they got
progressively smaller. I think a key for the colours could also be
helpful as otherwise it is very difficult to work out what is meant by
them!

--
Lucy Chambers
Community Coordinator,