[OpenSpending] Technology for Fiscal Transparency - Where Next?

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Wed Mar 21 17:08:03 UTC 2012

Dear Lists (apologies for the cross-post),

Over the last month, my colleague Velichka and I have been working on
a report entitled “Technology for Transparent and Accountable Public
Finance" for the GIFT initiative ready for next month's OGP meeting.

We are hoping to identify the most promising projects around the world
that are using technology (web, mobile or otherwise) to further aims
of fiscal transparency. Of particular interest are projects that aim
to:

* Publish more or better data related to fiscal processes (aid,
revenues, budgets, audits, etc. — see below),
* Help understand this data through the creation of better
visualisation and data analysis tools,
* Educate citizens about fiscal processes, and assist civil society
organisations promoting accountable governance,
* Facilitate direct participation in fiscal matters through
participatory budgeting, citizen auditing and the like,
* Provide policymakers with complete and reliable data relevant to
their work, enabling them to make better decisions.

More details on the report can be found in this post:
http://blog.okfn.org/2012/03/21/technology-for-fiscal-transparency-where-next/

We wanted to ask the wisdom of the list if there are any projects
which we should consider for inclusion in the report or for their
observations on the above.

We have also produced a form which gives more details on the areas we
area focussing on - and we would encourage people to fill out with
details of projects which should be included in the report
http://bit.ly/GCX1Cw

Many thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing from you,

All the best,

Lucy

--
Lucy Chambers