[OpenSpending] Tracking state property

Dirk Heine dirk.heine at okfn.org
Tue Nov 6 10:03:36 UTC 2012

Dear Friedrich,

Many econometric papers highlight state ownership. The big problem with
such papers commonly is that state ownership is not randomly distributed,
and an according dummy variable picks up all kinds of variations that have
nothing to do with X-inefficiency or whatever else one ascribes to the
state. As much as privatisation focuses on functioning (privatisable)
companies, what remains in state ownership is -by construction- the rest.
And the dummy then picks up all that is unmarketable.

Best wishes,

Dirk