[OpenSpending] [CivicAccess-discuss] Fwd: Fwd: [sunlightlabs] MapLight Launches New US Money and Politics Data Set

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Oct 2 19:18:03 UTC 2012

My mistake, Heather!

I was under this impression from the press release, which says: "The
MapLight Money and Politics Data Set can also be downloaded or accessed via
API by citizens and journalists for free *non-commercial* use in websites,
widgets, and apps." (my emphasis).

I will forward the data license to the Open Definition Advisory Council
[1], to see if they think this is compliant with the Open Definition [2]:

http://maplight.org/data/get/federal-money-and-politics-dataset/license

J.

[1] http://opendefinition.org/advisory-council/
[2] http://opendefinition.org/

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Heather Morrison <hgmorris at sfu.ca> wrote:

> Cool resource - thanks for sharing this, Michael!
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation's Jonathan Gray's comment misportrays the
> license for this resource.
>
> Here is what it actually says: "free of charge for all uses that are
> freely available to the public. For example, you may use the MapLight Data
> on free public websites (including ad-supported websites); in news
> reporting available to the public; in academic research; in blog posts; and
> in mobile apps offered free of charge".
> http://maplight.org/data/get/federal-money-and-politics-dataset/license
>
> This is not a CC license, but it more closely resembles Sharealike than
> Noncommercial.
>
> best,
>
> Heather Morrison
>

> On 2012-10-02, at 11:57 AM, Michael Lenczner wrote:
>
> > fyi

Jonathan Gray

Head of Community