[OpenSpending] [CivicAccess-discuss] [open-gov] Fwd: Fwd: [sunlightlabs] MapLight Launches New US Money and Politics Data Set

David Eaves david at eaves.ca
Tue Oct 2 23:19:37 UTC 2012

While this issue should be discussed more and there is lots to dive into here it is deeply, deeply problematic to link making Stats Can's data open with the cut backs faced by Stats Can. There is no evidence that those two are linked (indeed, many of the cuts to its service predated the decision to make its data open), the revenue generated by statscan for its data was incredibly small. The budget cuts come from a government that (sadly) simply does not value data or the organization's role - this is a serious problem, but let's not conflate it with the opening of their data.

Dave