[OpenSpending] Follow-up to transaction standard call

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Wed Oct 24 16:56:57 UTC 2012

I agree - thanks Lucy for bringing it together.

I would agree to handle salaries and employee expenses separately, but with
two provisos:-

(1) the spending transactions should show a total* for salaries and for
employee expenses in the period, so that there is a complete picture of
spending in the period.  Often this is how salaries work through an agency's
systems anyway, with the payroll system just posting a total paid in salary
to the ledger system.  (In some agencies this would include the components
of salary including total basic pay, total bonuses, total allowances, total
pension contribution etc).

(2) singleton contractors and sole traders should not somehow slip through
the net.  The UK Information Commissioner's view is that data about them,
although personal data, is not sensitive personal data if it is data about
their business activities.

* BTW I have been arguing in the UK that where transactions are redacted or
where transactions are below a given reporting threshold then (at least) a
total line should be given for these so that the grand total of the
transaction file(s) is the same as the total expenditure reported by the
agency in its accounts.  This principle is in the local government guidance
but not in the central government equivalent.

Regards

Andrew