[OpenSpending] Hack Day on EU procurements May 2 in Brussels

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Fri Apr 26 10:37:31 UTC 2013

Hi German,

Thanks for sharing. I fully agree that helping journalists to use
procurement data is challenging.

Following the Hack Day, we will make sure to set up a community call on
procurements (more details to follow). It would be great if you could join
that call and share a bit more about how you work with the procurement
cases you obtain!

Anders

On 26 April 2013 01:22, German Filkov <dfilkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our NGO (Center for Civil Communications) is dealing mostly with public
> procurement data. We monitor a sample of 240 procurement procedures and
> issue quarterly reports with findings and recommendations towards narrowing
> the room for corruption, greater transparency and more rational use of
> public money. A great deal of the data we obtain through the Freedom of
> Information Act, which turned to be a good tool in this regard. We also
> train journalists in research and report on public procurement. Our
> experience shows that this subject is complex for them. Our website is
> www.ccc.org.mk. We are from Republic of Macedonia. Good luck with your
> idea and efforts.
> German Filkov
>

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Anders Pedersen <
> anders.pedersen at okfn.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can procurement data help fill the blank spots when government
>> spending data is not available?
>>
>> A new blog post [1] takes a look at this, as we're organising a Hack
>> Day on EU procurement data on May 2 in Brussels
>>
>> Register for the event here [2]
>>
>> We'll also be at the DataHarvest on May 3-4 [3], when journalists and
>> coders gather to make sense of EU farm subsidy data and much more.
>> Highly recommended!
>>
>> Anders
>>
>> [1] http://openspending.org/blog/2013/04/09/procurement-hack-day.html
>> [2] http://procurement-hack.eventbrite.com/#