[OpenSpending] Canadian transparency query

Joseph Kraus joseph.kraus at one.org
Fri Dec 20 20:38:51 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am collaborating with the Publish What You Pay Canada coalition on the issue of mandatory payment disclosure transparency for the oil, gas, and mining sectors in Canada. The Canadian government has committed to implement this type of disclosure within the next two years, and is considering whether to require companies to disclose payments made to all levels of government - i.e. national, provincial, city, etc.

The issue of payment disclosures to city governments has been a point of contention for some companies, who don't believe there is a demand for such granular disclosure (and because they fear that this level of disclosure will further complicate their tenuous relationships with First Nation governments). I'm wondering if anyone on this list knows of any groups (or individuals) that might make use of this type of data, or is interested in the data themselves. If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Best,
Joe

Joseph Kraus | Policy Manager, Transparency & Accountability
office: 202.495.2793 | mobile: 202.375.9922
Join us at ONE.ORG | @ONEcampaign | Facebook.com/ONE