[OpenSpending] Fw: cooperating with the OKF on the new initiative

v.mischenko v_mischenko at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 20:07:10 UTC 2013

Hi Anders,
Thanks very much for this information and advise. This guys of the initiatives you have indicated are doing grate job. I will try to get in touch with them and explain the concept of real time data I am trying to pursue.
Unfortunately, all the data they gather for processing with OpenSpending is outdated. That's what they get from the authorities and have to trust it.
My point, however, is: getting information In Real Time from real systems, not from people working for the government. The information these officers provide is:
- outdated,- aggregated to a high level,- often presented in the form which might be tinted to the wishes of the authorities providing data,- prone to mistakes or even falsified.
Only the raw data in real time has real value. People must get a chance to interpret the data themselves, not waiting for interpretation of the authorities. If the data is not provided in real time, it has some academic / historical value. But you cannot help the government to steer the sailboat of the country if you sit in the ship's hold blindfolded and get coordinates, directions and weather condition which are presented in fairy-tail style and are older than one year!
How can you possibly control the skipper in such conditions? The only exact information you might get is when the reef penetrates the ship's hold.
That's my point.
What I am trying to do is to get the financial data from the IT systems of a smaller municipality directly to the public site, and process this data with your fantastic tools, which in this case will really help to co-steer with the government.
This should also help to educate citizens on governmental spendings and make them more active towards the government.
Local financial dat is the first step. The next one is higher levels up to the country level and hopefully the European one.
I am trying to win more information on the architecture and interfaces of the municipal IT system here, and will get back to you when I better understand what is to be done to enable processing of this information with Open Spending.
Best regards, Valer.