[OpenSpending] openspending.at - how to display data tables?

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Thu Feb 28 14:00:01 UTC 2013

Hi Krabina,

Comments below :-)

2013/2/28 Krabina Bernhard <krabina at kdz.or.at>

> I mistyped our domain. We're at http://www.offenerhaushalt.at (and not on
> openspending.at).

Cool!

> At KDZ (http://www.kdz.or.at ) we are domain experts of public budgets in
> Austria. We wanted not only to have OpenSpending in German language, but
> also with Austrian content (not only datasets, but Blog entries, etc.).
> Furthermore we want to fund some development on the software. Parts of it
> will be usable on the internatonal site as well (e. g. Visualisation/Tables
> per capita). Other parts will make no sense in an international platform:
> e. g. we calculate indicators based on the municipal budgets. And budgeting
> in Austria is quite different from other countries (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-entry_bookkeeping_system )

Do you think anyone other than you will be uploading datasets to the site?

Usually, what we would recommend in this case is to publish your data into
OpenSpending, and build what you need using its API. We're calling that
Satellite Sites (i.e. http://cameroon.openspending.org/en/,
http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/). But I guess your use case is a bit
more complex, or not?

Furhtermore, I am not so sure if you really are interested in more than
> 2.300 municipalitie's budgets in Austra on your international site. Of
> course, we will be happy to do some transfer of data between our Austrian
> version an the international version, but we are still at a very early
> stage and have to get to know the software better.

Yes, we are! You never know if something interesting won't come out when
comparing the Austria and Brazil budgets, for example :P

By the way: thank you for this great piece of software!

You're welcome :-)

If you have any problem/suggestions with the code itself, ping us in
openspending-dev.

Cheers,
Vítor Baptista.