[OpenSpending] Community update - Data Clinic tomorrow, community news and global spending weekend July 20-21

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Tue Jun 4 11:53:46 UTC 2013

All,

Here's a short community update.

*#Do you need community support for working on your spending data? Say
hello to the bi-weekly Data Clinic!*
A lot of great spending projects are in the making, but in need of
community support for tips on how to clean and upload the data.

We'll therefore begin to run bi-weekly *Data Clinic* - *a community drop in*
 for *all troubleshooting* you need in order to get working on
OpenSpending.
All you need to bring is your messy data, and you'll be able to ask the
community on tips on how to tackle your spending data.

The first Data Clinic will take place tomorrow *Wednesday 5 June at 19:00
CET* as chat *via skype* (ping: anpehej) or *IRC #openspending *

The introduction of the Data Clinic also means that we'll have community
discussions and support every Wednesday - either as Data Clinic or
Community GoogleHangouts.

*#Community projects*
Fellix is working on Andalusian procurement data. Data quality seems good,
and would be interesting to compare with the data available in OpenTED.

Cecilia and the investigative journalism team at IRPI has claimed the
Italian structural fund data <http://progress.openspending.org/> and will
be working to add it to OpenSpending. They need help cleaning a few of the
data fields so please get in touch if you can help!

Tarek would be interested looking at spending data from Egypt

Pierre has helped scrape, clean and upload procurement data from Senegal to
OpenSpending. He'll post on the OpenSpending blog soon.

Benjamin is working on the EU procurement data opendted.pudo.org

Most of the projects could need advice or a helping hand, so get in touch
if you want to help or share!

Spending data from the city of Washington
DC<http://openspending.org/dc-vendors-contractors>was uploaded during
the weekend as part of #Hackforchange.

*#Global Weekend on city spending data July 20-21*
The past months has seen strong growth in local spending projects. As we
want to support and grow these initiatives we're asking if you'll join us
to organise a global spending weekend to open city spending on July 20-21.
The spending weekend will offer online trainings and support to your local
group to help you get your project off the ground.

Hiroichi (OKF Japan), Mor (Hasadna) and Adam (Open Budget Oakland) have
already expressed interest in the idea, and we'd love to hear if you want
to be involved.

Check and add your self to the planning
document<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1Zh-TPxgMiFDrzk-rNJqL9CmCbbtlZmp2xjWlZ6T20TA/edit#>

Anders