[OpenSpending] [OKFN-NL] €278bn through shell companies in Netherlands

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:44:25 UTC 2013

At OpenCorporates we have a policy of not evading blocking of IP addresses
(using TOR or similar) – if the company register has taken that view we are
not going to try to evade it, but we are happy to make that public.

Chris
Co-founder

On 20 June 2013 22:25, Ton Zijlstra <ton.zijlstra at gmail.com> wrote:

> That seems an overblown characterisation of the KvK and their actions or
> lack thereof.
> Op 20 jun. 2013 23:04 schreef <k.brzezinska at xs4all.nl> het volgende:
>
>> dear OKFN-ers, and other friends,
>>
>> Hi its Karen.
>>
>> Okay, I have spoken to my pal in the US. He says the SEC won't have info
>> abt those companies unless they have a US branch or operations. One would
>> have to go at it state by state, to find which companies are registered.
>>
>> However, I have now just done a google search of "trusts Netherlands" and
>> came up with a disquieting list of possibilities.
>>
>> I will attach a screen shot because it gave me the willies.
>>
>> Before we go any further, i would like to point out that 'blocking' of an
>> IP address seems like a downright hostile reaction. My question, have any
>> scrapers tried scraping from a TOR address (or similar) to avoid being
>> blocked?
>>
>> I'd also like to point out that people who are used to secreting their
>> info about billions of currency units aren't known for being mild
>> mannered. Just FYI. If we are looking at money that's being laundered, or
>> 'merely' evading taxation, we are not going to be popular. And these folks
>> are not bound by the laws of governmental courtesy, if you get my drift.
>>
>> Having been married for some time to someone who represented monied
>> criminals (and who ended up drifting in that direction himself) I can say:
>> we should keep our eyes open when dealing with these matters.
>>
>> Finally, is there an OKFN protocol? Were I to call these offices, looking
>> for info, do I say I'm a journalist working with the OKFN/ Open Spending
>> project? (I"m sure that would get them to open right up...!) ;-)
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
>> Karen Brzezinska (Amsterdam)
>>

>> Got it.
>>
>> On Thu, June 20, 2013 20:50, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> > Hey Karen,
>> >
>> > Very interesting indeed. Out of interest where are you based?
>> >
>> > By following up on the list, I mean:
>> >
>> > 1. Signing up to the OKFN Netherlands and OpenSpending mailing lists
>> here:

>> > (I assume that you are on at least one of these in order to have seen my
>> > initial message)
>> >
>> > 2. Replying to my initial email (which you replied to just to me and
>> > others
>> > to our individual addresses), copying in openspending at lists.okfn.organd
>> > okfn-nl at lists.okfn.org. This means that the people on those two lists
>> will
>> > see your reply, which will enable us to have a broader conversation, and
>> > for other people to contribute and to get involved!
>> >
>> > Looking forward to hearing from you!
>> >
>> > All the best,
>> >
>> > Jonathan

>> this

>> >%3

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture