[OpenSpending] Spending data for all 98 municipalities in Denmark

Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen niels at buhlrasmussen.eu
Wed May 8 18:43:16 UTC 2013

Hi

Today an overview of the spending-data for all Denmarks 98
municipalities has been released at kommune.politiken.dk

To make it possible I have collected data from ”Statistics Denmark” and
visualized it using the well-known icons and bubblediagram from
OpenSpending.

In Denmark the budgets of the municipalities are well structured and
available for free download at one central place, it's not on
transactional level but still very informative. Budgets can be compared
due to detailed regulation on how municipalities shall do their
bookkeeping.

For the site I made a function to compare two different municipalities
and to look up which municipality spends the most/least on a chosen
expenditure post.

I made an effort to include not just spending data but also figures
describing the different sources of income. To me it is important that
we do not just point fingers at any expenditures we might find
questionable.

I partnered with the national newspaper Politiken to reach a larger
audience. Municipal elections are going to be held in Denmark later this
year.

Best, Niels Erik
--
http://www.buhlrasmussen.eu