[OpenSpending] XBRL for Local Government Financial Reporting

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Sep 5 15:58:29 UTC 2013

Hey Marc,

this is very interesting to see XBRL being picked up, but I have to say
that I'm critical of its use for non balance-sheet data [1]. XBRL is
basically a massive framework in which any type of data could be expressed
(it seems very committee-run), but the benefits really aren't clear to me.

You can have well-documented CSV or JSON, too - and for those formats there
is tooling which is useable by journalists and other end-users who do not
have the means to start a 3 year XBRL implementation effort. In the end,
releasing government data as XBRL could mean that only solutions from large
companies like IBM or SAP would be able to invest the effort necessary to
interpret the data.

Of course it would be nice to have a standard, but this one is so large and
ambiguous, I can't see it being useful in a technical sense.

Cheers,

- Friedrich

[1] http://openspending.org/resources/gift/chapter4-2.html