[OpenSpending] DATA Act

Diego de la Mora diego at fundar.org.mx
Wed May 7 14:36:09 UTC 2014

In Mexico the Executive Government initiated a similar effort in the year
2008, when the “Law of General Public Accounting” was sent and approved in
the Federal Congress (both chambers). It was reformed again in 2012 to
enforce its compliance and they asked the public entities for more
information on income, expenditures, and debt. The name in Spanish is “Ley
General de Contabilidad Gubernamental (LGCG)”.

One of the main objectives of the law is to establish common principles for
public entities to register and report the budgetary and finance
information using the same methodology. The law is mandatory for the 3
levels of government: federal, states and municipalities. The law applies
for all public entities in Mexico, including the federal and local
congresses. There are more than 8,000 public entities in Mexico, so is a
relevant task to uniform the practices among them.

In 2012, there was a reform that included many relevant transparency
principles in the law. For instance, the law establishes the minimum
information that the main budgetary documents should contain at the federal
and local governments (e.g. Budget Proposal and the Revenue Law). It also
establishes that all the budgetary documents and data should be public at
the government internet portals. Among many others.

There is a specific board in the Ministry of Finance in charge of
monitoring the compliance and performance of the law. The name of this body
is CONAC and one of its functions is to monitor the quality of the
information presented by the public entities. For more information about
the law and CONAC you can check this link: http://www.conac.gob.mx/.
However, is in Spanish.

Attached I am sending you the law. In case it may be useful. As you can
imagine, its implementation varies from one public entities to the other
and its difficult to track it, but some advances at the federal level
(including .cvs files: www.transparenciapresupuestaria.gob.mx) are already
in track.

Best,

Diego de la Mora Maurer
Coordinador de Presupuestos y Políticas Públicas
Budgets and Public Policy Coordinator

Fundar, Centro de Análisis e Investigación
www.fundar.org.mx
Tel. + 52 (55) 55543001 x 119
Cel. 04455 3223 2797
@diegodelam