[OpenSpending] A new approach to measuring the impact of open data and digital transparency initiatives

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Tue May 5 18:50:29 UTC 2015

Hey all,

(Sorry for the cross-post.)

In the past few months, we at Sunlight worked hard to tackle some of the
methodological challenges facing the open government community, including
the difficulties in assessing the social impact of digital transparency and
open data initiatives. A few weeks ago, we presented our research at the
Cartagena Data Festival, and today we are happy to launch the first edition
of our findings.

The outputs of our research include:

   - A searchable repository
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jP6WIkEPczb8MBn6DNOU2PhKp9Prwe4HokqhUQVsxE0/edit#gid=0>
   of more than 100 examples on the outputs, outcomes and impacts of open data
   and digital technology projects;
   - Three distinctive theories of change
   <https://www.scribd.com/doc/263776138/The-Social-Impact-of-Open-Data>
   for open data and digital transparency initiatives from the Global South;
   - A methodological framework
   <https://www.scribd.com/doc/263776138/The-Social-Impact-of-Open-Data> to
   help develop more robust indicators of social and political change for the
   ecosystem of open data initiatives, by applying and revising the Outcome
   Mapping approach of IDRC to the field.

Here`s the blog post that summarizes our findings:
http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2015/05/05/a-new-approach-to-measuring-the-impact-of-open-data/

The repository of case stories is available at the following link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jP6WIkEPczb8MBn6DNOU2PhKp9Prwe4HokqhUQVsxE0/edit#gid=0

And you can read the whole study at:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/263776138/The-Social-Impact-of-Open-Data

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or
suggestions about our approach!

Best,
Julia

--