[opentextbooks] Funding Open Textbooks

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jul 16 18:35:31 UTC 2013

http://www.fund-io.com - wow, I love it :)

I've reached the conclusion that the lack of understanding how to get
paid to work full time at work-for-hire market rates to publish gratis
and libre licensed works (software, fonts, textbooks, etc) is the
biggest blocker to the free culture movement today.

I got lucky with fonts: a megacorporation pays me a full time wage to
spend all my time (and more of their money than I think I could raise
myself) on libre fonts. But there are a many examples
(www.guardianproject.info is my favourite) of people who are "making
free software full time" and I wish the FSF, CC, and similar
organisations that are dedicated to promoting free culture would
promote business models to pay the rent of authors of free works as
much as they support the licenses applied to those works.