[Os-datawrangling] name of channel for freenode? and question over content/structure/materials for workshop

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Sat Aug 31 22:47:49 UTC 2013

Hi Karen,

Great points on the workshop all around, and looping in the data wrangling.
My comments below:

http://blog.openspending.org/about/contact/

>    1.
>    2. I am planning to start puzzling out my workshop ideas this weekend.
>    I will bounce some ideas off of a teacher friend but I have a question
>    about the content and the materials, because I'm guessing that not everyone
>    has a journalism background. For me a big factor in writing is ethics, of
>    course, and that's part of what the open access to government information
>    is about, the ethics of making spending and other information available.
>    How to do it in a way that accurately presents the situation.
>    I've found some materials from the Knight Foundation at Poynter's
>    Journalism University site, and wonder if those would be acceptable to use
>    as a basis. OKFN is funded by Knight Foundation, if I"m correct? If you
>    agree on this choice, I'd need to get permission, anyway, I guess, if I'm
>    going to use the materials for a workshop.
>
> The material from Poynter could be great use (though we'll need to check
the license:-). However we might also want to think about how we can build
and expand on some of the financial journalism
resources<http://blog.openspending.org/research/> eg.
on taxation and the EU budget, which have already been written at
OpenSpending. We should try and see how we can expand our resource guides
on other topics such as "how to find and understand GDP data?"

>    1. I think it would be worthwhile to have the workshop span two
>    meetings, at least, perhaps even three, as that would give people (hahha,
>    and me) the time to work out the use of data in their writing, perhaps even
>    with the inclusion of visualations. If we had even one script to work with,
>    we could practice feeding the data -or omitting some aspect of the data so
>    as to influence the outcome- in in different ways to see how emphasizing
>    different aspects of a story changes the message.
>
> A multiple day workshop sounds really great! As you start developing the
content for the workshop, we can decide how we want to go about this :-)

> That's my idea. Everyone involved seems to be of a generally thinking and
> writing level, so I don't have any worries about the group's ability to
> follow me -or to outdistance me, for that matter.
>

> I was also thinking about the number of people involved who are
> functioning outside of their mother tongue. The multi-meeting might help
> with that too, by providing more time. Perhaps one of the native Spanish
> speakers would like to assist -by checking over the written assignments- so
> that any interested Spanish speakers, who might be on a higher level of
> comprehension but feel more comfortable writing in Spanish, could also take
> part.
>
> Oh, one other thing: I've been thinking about scrubbing data, how that
> gets done. Not sure I'm wrangler material, but scrubbing sounds like it
> might be instructive in it's own way. How would I find out more about
> getting started with that?

I like the term scrubbing data! You can find several data cleaning
courses<http://schoolofdata.org/handbook/courses/>over at School of
Data, which can help you get started.

P.s. Scrubbing vs. cleaning: I guess it depends on how much wrangling the
data will need. Potato-data might need a thorough scrub, while delicate
raspberry-data might just need a gentle rinse :-)

that's all for now,

--
*