[pdb-discuss] british library screen scraping

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Apr 9 09:11:02 UTC 2006

Robert Scott wrote:
> On Sunday 09 Apr 2006 00:32, Nathan Lewis wrote:
>
>>Is the goal to get
>>the catalogue entries for all the recordings so that someone could
>>check them out and digitise them or is it just to produce a catalogue
>>of recordings that are free of copyright?
>

> Hi,
>
> The first.
>
> And I think the idea is to get as much information as is there. Even more may
> need to be put in semi-manually in the future.

Robert is right here. The plan is to get metadata on *all* recordings.
With sufficient information we should then be able to programmatically
determine which ones are in copyright and those that are out of
copyright. The ultimate intent /is/ to produce a 'public domain
register' but we may as well (and probably need to) collect information
on all recordings.

I've summarized the info I have so far as well as the proposed approach at:

http://www.freeculture.org.uk/PublicDomainBurn/FindWorksHowto

Feel free to comment on/amend this (either on the wiki or here)

Regards,

Rufus