[pdb-discuss] Re: Writing a grant proposal for the public domain works db

Timothy Cowlishaw timcowlishaw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:33:43 UTC 2006

Hi all!

here's a first draft, it obviously needs fleshing out in various
areas. I personally feel that it needs a lot more information about
the structure of the database, and the methods by which we will build
and populate it, but not being involved in active development of the
project (my programming skills are negligible, bordering on non-
existent), It would be helpful if someone with a little more hands-on
experience could provide some input. I will  look up some good
references to flesh out the 'importance of a public domain' bit.. see
comment inline below.

Anyway, feel free to rip it apart anyway you like.... full text below.

Cheers,

Tim

----------------
Public Domain Burn – Application for funding

The Public Domain Burn project, instigated by Free Culture UK, aims
to build a database of artistic and cultural works that have fallen
into the public domain, locate them, and finally to digitise copies
of the works and make them available online (1).

It has long been acknowledged that the existence of a public domain
of cultural works, and easy access to it is essential to the business
of educators, academics, artists and critics alike (2). The
importance of prior art  to the future success of creativity (and the
‘knowledge economy’) both in the UK and Globally, cannot be
underestimated.

The first law to introduce the concept of a ‘copyright’  (and,
accordingly, the concept of a ‘public domain’) for authors and
publishers was the Statute of Anne of 1710 (3), which expressly
stipulated that any work to be copyrighted should be registered with
the Company of Stationers, in order to provide a central, accessible,
register of copyrighted works, thereby enabling any interested party
to determine whether a specific work was currently covered by the
term of copyright. The Company of Stationers also kept copies of all
registered copyrighted works on file, and therefore also provided a
central library where registered works could be inspected or consulted.

Under the modern conception of Copyright law, it is no longer
necessary to register a work in order to gain the benefits of
copyright protection. Any work eligible for protection is covered
from the time of the making or publication of the work, without any
need to register that work as being protected, or to mark it as such.
As a result, the process of identifying protected or public domain
works is no longer trivial, as there is no central registry for
copyrighted works, determining whether or not a work is still covered
can rely on guesswork, or substantial (and costly) investigation.

/* NEED EXAMPLE! should explain the length of term of copyright for
various different forms of work here – when length of copyright
relies on length of authors life, it is essential to know the date of
death of the author, or last surviving author. Causes problems when
dealing with corporate or joint authorship. Footnote explaining
current efforts to extend term of copyright. Explain how this would
cause more problems, especially if applied retroactively, etc.
Mention Sonny Bono in the US– works fell back into copyright after
having become PD. */

The Public Domain Burn Project aims to create a registry of public
domain works, and copyright works which are nearing the end of their
term of protection.

In order to do this, several facts about each work need to be
ascertained – The date the work was first published, the name(s) of
any contributing authors, and the dates of the death of these
authors, if they are deceased. In addition, it is important,
particularly in the case of sound recordings, to ascertain the same
information about copyrights which the work in question may derive from.

This registry will take the form of a database and associated web
application storing the above details for as many cultural artefacts
as possible. With this data stored, it would then be possible to
programmatically determine which works are currently in the Public
Domain, and to use this data in order to find, duplicate, and make
available a copy of that work.

Such a database could be populated by manual entry of data, or indeed
populated in bulk from other trusted sources (the British Library has
a large catalogue of early sound recordings, and their catalogue is
easily accessible through web page scraping, in order to add the data
to our database).

Ultimately, we intend the Public Domain Burn database to contain a
comprehensive catalogue of cultural works, and an associated database
of authors, in order to easily identify and make available Public
Domain works for the benefit of the wider cultural community and
society as a whole.

Bibliography

(1)  – www.freeculture.org.uk/PublicDomainBurn

(2)  – CITATION NEEDED! – Kings College notice on term extension,
Lessig, Vaidhyanathan

(3) – www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/eurodocs/anne_1710.htm