[pdb-discuss] demo site now up and functional

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sat Jun 24 18:29:51 UTC 2006

Ok I've now:

1. edited the frontpage
   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/

2. created an about page using a trimmed version of Tim's text for
proposal (it's proving useful already!)
   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/about

3. created a get involved page:
   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/participate

Tom: I draw you attention particularly to this last page as it contains
a walk-through example of using the site that I reproduce below.

Regards,

Rufus

PS: remember to emphasize to people this is a prototype and that we are
probably not going to stick with the pure-wiki approach as the data
isn't structured enough

== Walk-through Example ==

Go to recordings index page:

   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/recording/

Suppose we look at the recording "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, 1900.10.03":

   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/recording/22/

If we then click through to the work we are at:

   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/work/20/

Creators are listed at Stuart and boyd (yup i know the casing is bad but
blame the British Library). Now suppose we click through on Stuart we
are then at:

   http://www.publicdomainworks.net/artist/14

We notice that we don't have any birth/death dates. Okay what can we do
with a quick google:

   http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stuart+boyd+phrenology

2nd link looks promising:

   http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/fraser.charlton/florosyn.html

Aha:

'Florodora', a musical comedy in two acts, was composed by Leslie
Stuart, with lyrics by Ernest Boyd-Jones and Paul Reubens, book by Owen
Hall and additional songs by Paul Reubens. It opened at the Lyric
Theatre, London, on 11th November 1899. There were many revivals over
the following two decades.

So we can go and edit relevant artist and work pages with this info.
Futhermore a google for Leslie Stuart leads us to:

   http://math.boisestate.edu/GaS/british/composers/stuart.html

which gives:

STUART, Leslie [BARRETT, Thomas Augustine] (aka Lester Thomas) (b
Southport, 15 March 1864; d Richmond, Surrey, 27 March 1928). British
songwriter who made himself a musical comedy mark as the composer of
Florodora.

The 'good news' is that Stuart died in 1928 which is more than 70 years
ago so his authorial copyright has expired (see
http://www.freeculture.org.uk/copyright/ for more information the
duration of copyright). With this information in hand we are well on our
way to establishing this particular recording as public domain.