[pdb-discuss] knowledgeforge project and the subversion repository

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Mar 14 10:33:36 UTC 2006

Dan Leech wrote:
> thats cool, ive got svn installed... and ive checkedout the pdb repository.
>
> few questions..
>
> are you suggesting (in the README) that I create a new django project in
> my local trunk dir and then reference it to pdw? (wouldn't that mess
> stuff up when commiting?)

yes that is what i'm suggesting but you shouldn't commit it into the
repository (just keep in in your working copy). To add stuff to the
repository there are two steps:

svn add <file1> ....
svn commit <file1> ...

You can have files in your working copy that aren't in the 'repository'

If this is confusing then create somewhere else (e.g. ~/dev or ~/tmp)

> can't we just have the entire django project in the svn? ie. manage.py
> etc.. would that be easier?

This is what i was originally going to do however:

1. all that is required extra at present is: django-admin startproject
<blah>

2. this setup allows people to have different settings e.g. for the db
(I rarely use mysql and have had difficulties with sqlite3 on mac osx
but others might not want to install postgresql)

3. when we actually ship for production while we will need to commit a
template settings.py (perhaps called settings.py.new) we won't want a
manage.py

Reading this over what this makes me think is that we might want to create:

etc/settings.py.new

which people then copy to their django project and edit with their own
system configuration (e.g. db etc)

~rufus