[pdb-discuss] Re: Writing a grant proposal for the public domain works db

Tim Cowlishaw timcowlishaw at gmail.com
Fri May 26 10:14:39 UTC 2006

On 5/23/06, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> I would suggest that while outlining the project as a whole -- including
> the db -- we should indicate that initially we are looking for funds to
> work on developing a prototype of the system (i.e. the code and db
> structure) and will *not* be building the db itself (ie. entering lots
> of content -- we might just enter a hundred items for testing purposes)

Ok, no problem... I'll put all this in.

> this is an excellent point and also goes to the heart of the orphan
> works problem. This would be perfect for the opening para.

Excellent! It might be worth pointing out the chilling effects on academic
research and discourse resulting from the loss of public domain works (Kings
College music department are active against the extension to copyright term
for this reason), as that is AHRCs main area of interest.

> > I'll get something written to you in the next couple of days!

erm..... I am a little behind schedule, as you can probably tell, but I'll
try and get a first draft done this weekend. apolologies.

PS: we should produce this first version as a plain text (we can convert
> to something glossy pdf/word ... later if necessary)

page on the wiki perhaps?

Also, I've been looking at the AHRC website... waht category does this
research fall under. AS it isn't a Doctoral / MRes project for anyone, I'm
assuming it comes under 'Knowledge Transfer Schemes'  -
http://www.ahrb.ac.uk/about/ke/knowledge/knowledge_activities.asp

Is this correct? It'd be good to be able to find out what specific
information they're after. would they want a budget, or atleast a rough
suggestion of numbers? otherwise, I''m assuming that I'm essentially writing
an academic paper on the benefits of the pdb project. Is this the case?

thanks again,

Tim