[pdb-discuss] Data from the BBC Archives

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 22 14:19:14 UTC 2006

rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:
>
>> Thanks to the efforts of few stalwart individuals in the BBC Archives
>> we have been given a CDs worth of catalogue data in order to 'evaluate
>> its usefulness'. As there is rather a lot of data and it is in a
>> rather baroque format I haven't uploaded it yet. I've included a
>> sample below and am working on gettting more details of the format so
>> that we can parse the data. If we can get the information this may be
>> an extremely useful source.
>>

> That's brilliant! And the data looks like a good opportunity for someone
> to use
> their Perl skills in the name of good. ;-)

Yes it is a great opportunity. The material has also been deposited with
the CHARMS group at KCL so we should probably get in touch with them
again and discuss collaboration.

> Incidentally, I'm giving a talk about FC-UK at FAVE on Saturday so I'll be
> plugging pd-burn. Do we have all the 1900 data entered yet or should I

Fantastic. Why not also give Open Shakespeare:

   http://www.openshakespeare.org/

a mention.

> call for
> volunteers to do stuff next week?

We have some 1900 stuff entered. Personally I'm in two minds about
entering that much more because I think we need to move away from a wiki
to a proper domain-model backed web-application.

~rufus