[pdb-discuss] Mmmmovies

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Oct 4 22:34:32 UTC 2006

I've been looking at public domain films on archive.org and
publicdomaintorrents.com. Wired have just published their list of the
best public domain movies to download. And the thing that has struck me
is that despite our 50 year expiry for film copyright there are
virtually no British films in the archives.

Is this because movie archive sites tend to be American, or does the
music score copyright affect matters if the score wasn't work for hire
or something? There are a few British movies in archive.org, but there
are many classics that are older than 50 years that are conspicuous by
their absence.

So what are the legal issues around this, and if they are not major
should we start looking for copies of The Red Shoes and Passport To
Pimlico to upload? :-)

- Rob.