[pdb-discuss] Mmmmovies

Michael Holloway mhholloway at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 08:41:22 UTC 2006

Nice subject!

Here at CC EW we're planning Mix&Mash - a 'film remix competition' - which
invites users to submit 3 minute shorts built from a combination of PD / CC
and (possibly) original materials. Only plotting right now, hoping to
announce early 2007.

Although i've not yet got into the legal nitty-gritty, my intention is to
consider these issues in the coming months so i'll be sure to post notable
revelations to this list. Likewise, i'd be very interested to see what your
research throws up.

On 10/4/06, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:

> I've been looking at public domain films on archive.org and
> publicdomaintorrents.com. Wired have just published their list of the
> best public domain movies to download. And the thing that has struck me
> is that despite our 50 year expiry for film copyright there are
> virtually no British films in the archives.
>
> Is this because movie archive sites tend to be American, or does the
> music score copyright affect matters if the score wasn't work for hire
> or something? There are a few British movies in archive.org, but there
> are many classics that are older than 50 years that are conspicuous by
> their absence.
>
> So what are the legal issues around this, and if they are not major
> should we start looking for copies of The Red Shoes and Passport To
> Pimlico to upload? :-)
>
> - Rob.

Michael H Holloway
+44 (0) 7974 566 823