[pdb-discuss] Mmmmovies

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Oct 5 08:51:25 UTC 2006

Rob Myers wrote:
> I've been looking at public domain films on archive.org and
> publicdomaintorrents.com. Wired have just published their list of the
> best public domain movies to download. And the thing that has struck me
> is that despite our 50 year expiry for film copyright there are
> virtually no British films in the archives.
>
> Is this because movie archive sites tend to be American, or does the
> music score copyright affect matters if the score wasn't work for hire
> or something? There are a few British movies in archive.org, but there
> are many classics that are older than 50 years that are conspicuous by
> their absence.
>
> So what are the legal issues around this, and if they are not major
> should we start looking for copies of The Red Shoes and Passport To
> Pimlico to upload? :-)

My understanding is that films get the full life+70 treatment (as works
for hire in the US they may get slightly less, i.e. 95 years). This was
a result of the duration directive of 1995. Previously film copyright
was a neighbouring right and had the same length as recording right in
sound recordings, i.e. fifty years. However that directive increase it
to death + 70 (both for new *and* old films -- great!). Furthermore as
Cornish and Llewellyn note:

 > Moreover, the very considerable investment in which goes into major
film productions has held to justify a special way of measuring lives.
To guard against the consequences of the director's early death [god
forbid: we'll only get a 70 or 80 years not 120], the longest life among
"persons connected with the film" is taken; and these include not only
the principal director but the author of the screenplay, the author of
the dialogue and the composer of any specifically created film score.
[10-45]

They go on to point out the dramatic effect this has on, say, a
documentary shot in the 1930s which would have gone out of copyright in
the 1980s but now may not do so until 2050.

Thus other than very special cases -- see e.g. BFI contributions to the
Creative Archive or special government material such as that from DfT --
most film is likely to be in copyright for quite a while yet.

~rufus