[pdb-discuss] Draft funding proposal

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Apr 24 11:32:52 UTC 2007

Quoting Tim Cowlishaw <tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk>:

> However, do you think I should stick to UK
> examples of artists working with appropriation techniques? Koons and Warhol
> are / were both from the US.

There aren't any big money UK appropriation artists. The advantage of
Koons and Warhol when discussing the benefits of funding support for
appropriation is that their work sells for millions of dollars.

So I would stick with Koons/Warhol.

If you do want contemporary UK appropriation artists then People Like
Us are very cool and did some work with The Creative Archive. And erm
Fiona Rae used to use old comic book imagery. There's surprisingly
little direct appropriation in contemporary UK art that I'm aware of
(Richard Hamilton, Art & Language and other older artists used to do
more), I'd be very interested to see more examples.

- Rob.