[pdb-discuss] Web-app demo running

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Thu Aug 9 18:33:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 11:01 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Jon Phillips wrote:
> > This looks cool! Congrats! Are the public domain rules worked out...
> >
> > Ok guys, so, have been working with the team here on pdwiki, and we have
> > figured out a change in the project.
> >
> > We are looking to make the canadian component of the site a separate
> > site that relies upon the service we are developing, called
> > wikibiblio...
>
> This sounds great -- exactly the kind of refactoring I think we were
> discussing back at the July meeting.
>
> > It would be great to fold your efforts on the technical site into
> > ours...because of this change, I can open up this service component we
> > are building, based upon drupal.
> >
> > Would you be interested in this?
>
> 100%. We could then really focus on our web part just being a front end
> to your service (our current approach was to be a front end to
> musicbrainz but I am increasingly concerned about their lack of
> distinction between a release (an album), a work and a
> performance/recording of that work -- though this something that might
> get fixed by their new ontology).

Yes, this would be brilliant!

> If I understand what you are suggesting correctly what this would mean is:
>
> 1. All data get stored in wikibiblio.
>
> 2. Other projects pull out that data to do specific stuff (such as list
> the public domain recordings for their jurisdiction -- this is what our
> front-end would do) and point people back to wikibiblio if they want to
> make an edit.

Exactly! So, then there can be more content and/or jurisdiction-focused
front-ends...

> This seems like a great approach to me. Stuff we could do to help:
>
> 1. Write a python wrapper around whatever web api or data dump format
> you give out from wikibiblio (we'd use this to pull data from you -- and
> perhaps also to write data if that were supported). I'd be happy to
> start on this right away.

Cool, I'm cc'ing david strauss who can talk about this more. We have a
basic read api, but will need some help with a write api...

> 2. Write code to dump whatever data we have into wikibiblio (again just
> needs details of the upload API or dump format you require).

Yes, a good generic rdf dumper and importer would be brilliant...

> 3. Continue writing out front-end for EU public domain stuff. This would
> not only show-off the benefits of this componentized approach but would
> no doubt help find bugs etc.

This is great! Yes, David, what would be needed to get an EU pd module
in-place? Yes, agree!

> Let me know if I have understood this correct and, if so I'll get
> involved with the web api stuff so I can start coding up a python wrapper :)
>
> ~rufus

Yes, you have totally understood this correctly! This is getting
exciting...I am moving to get wikibiblio opened up as fast as possible,
which means I need to write some emails of confirmation and then move
forward.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Community/Business Developer
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.