[pdb-discuss] Web-app demo running

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Aug 10 10:15:08 UTC 2007

Jon Phillips wrote:
[snip]
> Exactly! So, then there can be more content and/or jurisdiction-focused
> front-ends...
>
>> This seems like a great approach to me. Stuff we could do to help:
>>
>> 1. Write a python wrapper around whatever web api or data dump format
>> you give out from wikibiblio (we'd use this to pull data from you -- and
>> perhaps also to write data if that were supported). I'd be happy to
>> start on this right away.
>
> Cool, I'm cc'ing david strauss who can talk about this more. We have a
> basic read api, but will need some help with a write api...

David/Jon: could you point me to any docs (or even code) detailing this
API. Would you also be able to give me early access to test/demo server
(or perhaps just provide information sufficient for me to write a
'stubbed' implementation for my own testing).

>> 2. Write code to dump whatever data we have into wikibiblio (again just
>> needs details of the upload API or dump format you require).
>
> Yes, a good generic rdf dumper and importer would be brilliant...

If you have got a web api this is probably secondary but I wonder if
Yves (onlist and in cc) would be interested in having a go. Again more
details of the sql structure would be useful -- could you provide a link
to your create_db.sql file?

>> 3. Continue writing out front-end for EU public domain stuff. This would
>> not only show-off the benefits of this componentized approach but would
>> no doubt help find bugs etc.
>
> This is great! Yes, David, what would be needed to get an EU pd module
> in-place? Yes, agree!

Don't worry about that side of things I just need access to the data
(i.e. Work, Artist, Performance ...) -- I have already got code to do
the pd calculations.

>> Let me know if I have understood this correct and, if so I'll get
>> involved with the web api stuff so I can start coding up a python wrapper :)
>>
>> ~rufus
>
> Yes, you have totally understood this correctly! This is getting
> exciting...I am moving to get wikibiblio opened up as fast as possible,
> which means I need to write some emails of confirmation and then move
> forward.

Sounds great and if you could provide any docs or access to the
demo/test server that would enable us to get coding from this end :)

~rufus