[pdb-discuss] Public Domain Elvis record charts at #19

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Aug 28 17:41:22 UTC 2007

Tim Cowlishaw wrote:
>  From Music Week:
>
> Elvis records public domain first
> 28 August 2007 - 08:00:00
>
> The debate over recorded copyright extension has reached the UK singles
> chart for the first time, as a public domain Elvis Presley track has
> this week charted in the Top 20.

And the prosecution rests.

OK, it doesn't. The resurgence of Elvis singles charting over the last
few years has been *driven* by the pending expiry of his earliest
recording copyrights. This has been the incentive of copyright doing its
work both for society (who get to hear The King) and for the record
company (who get a last hurrah financially speaking from work they would
otherwise complacently leave deleted).

But now even public domain Elvis recordings can chart and make money.

Term extension would have harmed record company revenue (and social
benefit) by disincentivising pre-expiry re-releases. And expiry has not
harmed post-expiry releases if they are charting in the top twenty.

I'm usually a reformer rather than an abolitionist but this really does
raise the question of whether copyright is entirely irrelevent. Is it
the case that, as with patents, first to market advantage is enough? Is
holding the master tapes the equivalent of owning the servers? What
would DRM have added to the ongoing monetizability of Elvis?

Thankyouverymuch.

- Rob.