[pdb-discuss] Re: Creating the new pdw website

Michael Holloway mhholloway at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:57:53 UTC 2007

I would like to help by editing these pages

1. Guide to Copyright and the Public Domain
2. Calculating Copyright Status - Examples
3. Copyfight FAQ

I have made a start on 1, and will continue tomorrow, and aim to have 1/2
finished in the next couple of days. 3 is certainly more complex...

Here's a finished page that i wrote but was left out of ORG's Release the
Music site. With slight editing its now 'How does the Public Domain relate
to Copyright'. Comments welcomed (Rufus, you'll probably recognise sections
from your IPPR paper!) to direct my PDWorks time this week.
Definition of the public domain

Traditionally the public domain was defined as all intellectual works that
could be copied, used
and reused freely without legal restriction. In line with contemporary
academia, we subscribe to an expanded notion which instead equates the
public domain with 'open' knowledge, that is, all ideas and information that
can be freely used, redistributed and reused. The notion of 'free' in this
context should be loosely interpreted to include, for example, stipulations
that derivative works (i.e. Mash-ups or remixes) should themselves be
published under 'open' terms.
Contents of the public domain

This revised version of the public domain is very large indeed. It includes
the contents of the traditional public domain, such as works in which
exclusive rights have expired, for example Shakespeare's plays, as well as
items that do not qualify for protection, for example the theory of
relativity. This expanded public domain also includes open source software
and work released under (some) Creative Commons licenses. As such, it
consists of almost all of humanity's intellectual output up until the very
recent present - for copyrighted works approximately the last 100 years.
Copyright feeds the public domain

The default legal status for subject matter which qualifies for copyright
protection – creative expressions such as books, music and art – is as a
part of the public domain. In other words, exclusive control of creative
expression is the exceptional situation, and because protection is abnormal,
the scope of copyright protection is intended to be strictly limited by
duration. Copyrights incentivise authors and publishers, but only to the
extent that protection serves the broader social purpose of enriching the
public domain.
The public domain is our most vital source of creativity

The 'Romantic' notion of the artist is today discredited; creativity is only
in part produced from internal contemplation. Just as important – perhaps
even more - are the influences, the inspirations and the cultural resources
that an artist feeds on. From the perspective of this modern conception of
creativity, the importance of a healthy public domain becomes clear. Whilst
the precise nature of the creative processes remain mysterious, access to
cultural and informational resources enables a dialogue with our collective
past, and better informs our future.

Thanks