[pdb-discuss] Re: Creating the new pdw website

Michael Holloway mhholloway at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:16:45 UTC 2007

Hi all

Looks good. Do you think we should merge this with the page on "Guide to
> the Copyright and the Public Domain":
>
> http://blog.publicdomainworks.net/?page_id=8

Have now merged the two, will someone (Tim, Rufus?) edit pls?

Have also created a new page ('Copyright and recorded music'), which also
needs an edit, although I would prefer gotchas - summarised below - to sit
on the FAQ list?

Will try and edit the fearsome FAQ list over the weekend.

Outstanding Qs (excluding FAQ)
1. Is there a new copyright when a sound recording is
a. Remastered?
b. Digitised? (And is there any difference between compressed and
uncompressed?)

2. When does a new arrangement of a traditional song qualify for new
protection? Need examples.

3. Can we consider certain classes of work PD?
a. Int'l PD works? Just because work X is PD in territory X, does not mean
will be in UK, its a matter of our rules. The fact that you have a recording
manufactured in territory X is unimportant provided our rules define work X
as PD, provided once uploaded there's no distinguishing features, at least
in terms of this project.
b. US govt works dedicated to PD - can we see an example licence?

4. Confirming that works dedicated to PD under CC (or otherwise) also lose
Moral Rights

If you've got any time left, as mentioned in a previous email, it would
> be good to put up a couple of blog posts (back-dated as necessary to
> when the actual event occurred) about what we've been up to over the
> last six months (ideas for what to cover in previous email).

Apologies, no opportunity as yet, will do soon.

Regards,

--
Michael H Holloway
+44 (0) 7974 566 823