[pdb-discuss] Re: Presenting at OK Con

Michael Holloway michael at openrightsgroup.org
Thu Mar 15 18:05:26 UTC 2007

Nice one, Tim. Couple comments below

On 3/15/07, Tim Cowlishaw <timcowlishaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Was just in the middle of writing an email on the very same subject! would
> appreciate any advice on how best to proceed, Am currently putting together
> a presentation with this basic structure:
>
> - Background:
> -- Lack of a central copyright register in the UK - Role fulfilled by the
> stationers office in Statute of Anne, doesn't exist today.

-- Problems of working out copyright / PD status of works - complexities of
> Music copyrights, records of author death dates, etc.
> -- Summary of the need for PDW-DB

By needs do you mean the many potential uses for the DB? e.g. licensing (for
sampling, for inclusion in media, for compilations), reference purposes, and
the PD-Burn project

- Implementation
> -- Outline of the app's functionality
> -- Tech details (Maybe Nathan or Rufus can step in at this point?)
> -- Data sources (BBC Archive, British Library catalogoue,
> kingkong.demon.co.uk)
> -- Use cases / Examples

I expect this will be revised in light of Rufus' update on the project i.e.
using musicbrainz as backend

- Future Plans
> - Call for Volunteers

Let's try and be precise about the kind of skills we need right now (not
that i could give you that detail)

How does this look as an outline... anything I've missed?

Looks great. Let's be sure to flag up this mailing list to potential
contributors too.

cheers!