[pdb-discuss] Something concrete we could do in the next week

Ian Ibbotson ian.ibbotson at k-int.com
Thu Mar 15 20:13:33 UTC 2007

> Exactly though remember that to be truly PD track must also be more than
> 50 years old -- which is why i don't think we will find many pd tracks
> in musicbrainz at present even though we mind find quite a few composers
> who died more than 70 years ago. For out of copyright recordings we are
> really going to start needing to upload/analyse the BBC 'grams' (i.e.
> gramaphone) data.

Don't want to push noise onto the list when everyone is busy preparing
for saturday, but Just for fun......

the musicbrainz query of this form:
http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/release/?type=xml&query=date:[19570101%20TO%
2019580101]

Reports
106 releases between 1957 -1958,
103 releases between 56-57
59 releases between 55-56
32 release between 54-55
23 for 53-54
15 for 52-53
14 for 51-52
9 for 50-51
7 for 49-50

35 for 1939 to 1949
36 for 1919 to 1939
7 for 1800 to 1919
None for 1700-1800

Of course this isn't then cross correlated with composer information,
but it gives a bit more info about the depth of the MB data I suppose. I
guess one of the nice things about the MB data is that it's real easy to
create a datafeed of works that might be candidates for entering the PD.