[pdb-discuss] Creative Commons + Open Library + PublicDomainWorks

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Oct 1 10:36:34 UTC 2007

Director, Open Knowledge Foundation
m: +44 (0)7795 176 976
www: http://www.okfn.org/ | blog: http://blog.okfn.org/

Jon Phillips wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 12:09 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> Jon Phillips wrote:
[snip]

> Yes the Open Library system says books, libraries, etc, but in general
> is media agnostic...so, this is definitely something to work with, in,
> and around...Ok, for some reason the demo site appears to be offline

Yes, having looked before I don't think it should be too hard to
'generalise' the media metadata stuff as necessary to accommodate other
categories such as music (or even film -- I've 'wanted' an open film
metadata db for ages ...[1])

[1]: http://www.okfn.org/wiki/OpenMetadata

>>> If you guys are into, then it would be great to get the relevant people
>>> (tech, etc) onto the Open Library discuss and development lists to push
>>> on this effort...things are coming together!
>> Absolutely I think this is a great way to go.
>>
>> ~rufus
>
> Ok, cool...so looks like I need to:
>
> 1.) get read/write API documentation to you guys
> 2.) connect you up with Open Content Alliacne (at Internet Archive)
> http://www.opencontentalliance.org/2007agenda.html (man, I wish you
> could come to this on oct 17...I totally found out about super
> late...this week!)
> 3.) get you guys list info once the site is live again
> 4.) How to get affiliation locked down like this and put in motion
>
> Does this sound accurate?

Yes it does and well done for getting this moving -- all that sorting
out contracts doesn't sound much fun!

~rufus