[pdb-discuss] [Fwd: UK/EU pd/copyright module]

Jon Phillips jon at creativecommons.org
Tue Oct 30 21:34:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 17:14 +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Thanks to Jon we're now 'formally' in contact with the Open Library
> guys, in particular Aaron Schwartz + David Strauss (see below). I hope
> we can start contributing code and data into their system -- plus
> writing code to pull it out again :)

Cool...the api is already in for getting data back out, and the dumping
standards we discussed in the summer are on the map (RDF and sql
dumps)...

> First item to start work on is a pd calculator focused on the EU (and
> which includes recordings as well as plain ol' authorial copyright).
> Link to the current ol pd module is below and our own is at:
>
>    http://knowledgeforge.net/pdw/svn/trunk/src/pdw/copyright.py

Great, one thing that would really be helpful is for you guys to
generate a chart like this one, CC Canada provided for ascertaining
public domain status for Canadian works...also, this is good for
comprehension and for pointing the open community towards for
understanding the algorithms you create...

Also, is the EU too high/abstract a legal jurisdiction for ascertaining
jursidiction, or is a per EU country more correct?

> Anyone who does plan to contribute might also want to join ol-discuss
> (the open library discuss list) though updates on b/EU specific stuff
> will continue to come here.
>
> ~rufus

Great!

Jon

Jon Phillips
jon at creativecommons.org
cell: +1.510.499.0894 (80% time)
desk: +1.415.369.8486 (20% time)

Business + Community Manager
Creative Commons
www.creativecommons.org

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice.  Creative Commons cannot and does not give legal advice.
You need to assess the suitability of Creative Commons' tools for
your particular situation, which may include obtaining appropriate
legal advice from a licensed attorney.