[pd-discuss] [Communia-members] Works entering the PD on 1 January 2010 ?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Dec 2 17:56:53 UTC 2009

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for your email. Please feel free to update the wiki page adding
your name and affiliation - as well as details for anyone else working
on the Swiss calculator!

Regarding the legal ambuguities you refer to - is this something that
is recorded in metadata about works? If not - do you think it should
be? I guess we're currently thinking about a two tiered approach to
the calculator:

  (i) Something that maps the law as accurately as possible, trying to
account for how one would (in principle, with perfect infomation) make
a decision about whether or not a work is in the public domain. This
will be a combination of diagrams and explanatory notes for each
country. These will basically be high resolution 'legal models' and we
hope in the long term they can be peer reviewed.

  (ii) Something that works with the information we have about works
(imperfect information) to say whether or not a work is in the public
domain. These will be estimates of what is in the public domain - and
will be at least initially (out of necessity) lower resolution models.
I understand this is because not all information relevant to making a
decision about whether or not a work is in the public domain will be
easily available.

I think that (i) is more suited to specific questions about specific
works, and (ii) is better suited to working with large datasets - to
get an answer that will be roughly right most of the time, but far
from legally perfect. With the public domain calculators we are hoping
to get information for (i) from each jurisdiction - and this can be
used for particular implementations, such as publicdomainworks.net, to
make estimates based on available data.

I understand that what will help get (ii) closer to (i) is as the
information improves. One way to do this is to have richer metadata -
and we are currently working on allowing users to add information to
existing metadata (in a versioned, wiki-like manner). The Open Library
in the US are also working on this.

Please feel free to use the pd-discuss list to talk about your
progress and any issues you have. Ultimately this will be useful as an
archive for others to refer to if there are certain recurring problems
or questions - and as a collective memory for the project!

Best wishes,

Jonathan