[pd-discuss] Flowchart based Public Domain calculator API call

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Feb 21 14:20:29 UTC 2010

On 15 February 2010 10:13, Maarten Zeinstra <mz at kl.nl> wrote:
> A backing database would be a good idea, it could certainly help in
> accuracy.
> Today I am trying to encode the Dutch flowchart to XML, and I found an
> exception that does not fit our static encoding of document types.
> In the documentation we now have these types for a given work:
> LITERARY = "text"
> SOUND = "recording"
> PHOTO = "photograph"
> VIDEO = "video"
> DATABASE = "database"
> The dutch, as do many jurisdiction(?), state that laws and decrees are a
> special type, immediately falling in the public domain. Should we add a type
> LEGAL = "legal" to differentiate this type?

Hmmm, this is a good question. I'm not sure of the wisdom of creating
an entirely new type category to deal just with "national laws" in
some jurisdictions (and in any case in other jurisdictions all
material produced by goverment may be special).

Thus either we create a special category "National Laws" or the like
(better than LEGAL i think) or we try to handle this using author and
title information about the work (though I can imagine this may be
hard to to do reliably).

Rufus