[pd-discuss] UK flowchart min (50 years from publication, 125 years from publication)

Angelopoulos, C.J. C.J.Angelopoulos at uva.nl
Mon Feb 22 17:13:26 UTC 2010

Hi Maarten,

The part of the flowchart you're referring to covers Crown copyright,
i.e. copyright in works made by the monarch or a civil servant in the
course of his or her duties. Section 163(3) of the UK's Copyright,
Designs and Patents Act governs the term of protection of Crown
copyright. The provision is as follows:

"Crown copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work
continues to subsist-

(a) until the end of the period of 125 years from the end of the
calendar year in which the work was made, or

(b) if the work is published commercially before the end of the period
of 75 years from the end of the calendar year in which it was made,
until the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the calendar
year in which it was first so published."

A good question here is how this provision is influenced by Article 10
of the Term Directive, i.e. is the term of protection still 125 years
from the date of creation if that period is longer than the period of 70
years after the death of the author (or whichever provision applies in
the individual instance) for works created after the 1 July 1995 or is
it shortened. I would assume the latter, but if anybody else has a
different interpretation I'd be happy to hear it!

Best,

Christina